Wednesday, July 8, 2009

< 28 >

It was still an eerie sensation that no one else was aware of his presence. Jesse, Radio and Joey were engrossed in their conversation and didn't even look up. "It's automatic," I said "I think, therefore I am." "Descartes o' nine tails, that's what it is. It's self flagellation. You need to lighten up. Your role is ordained. All of this worrying and fretting won't put food on the table or bring you sexual liasons. Just 'be' with the situation." He wasn't struggling for idioms any longer.

"You're big on advice for a figment of my imagination." I was beginning to feel hostile. I put an old Iron Butterfly album called Ball on the stereo and skipped the first track on side one and played "Soul Experience". Jesse made me turn it down. My friend wouldn't shutup. "You use precious time discounting me. Work harder. Time is short. You waste your energy on resistance. I repeat, listening is a more appropriate use of your time than thinking. Be in the present."
Now Jesse still lives with me for one reason. I'm trainable. She knows that if she keeps a steady shoe to my lumbar region, I'll move down the right road. I operate like a prime mule, hard as hell to get started, but real game after I've decided to pull the plow. I took a deep breath and looked at the little guy. "Okay, what do I need to do?"

"Nothing," he smiled "just listen." He ffoooped off. Jesse was sitting back in her chair with Radio's head on her lap. She looked thoughtful...sort of like Eisenhower must have looked thoughtful just before D-day. "Thomas, I want you to call a few people."

No comments:

Post a Comment